Most often times people equip themselves with an ergonomic office but forget to include ergonomic flooring. In this article we discuss why having an anti-fatique mat is important to your health and cost saving. Remember, Don’t forget your Anti-Fatigue Mat.
Industrial Commercial ANTI-FATIGUE MATS… Proven to be ergonomically beneficial to standing employees.
The effects of standing on hard flooring without proper anti-fatigue mats can cause:
- Pain and discomfort in the back, legs and feet
- Varicose veins
- Increased fatigue
- Reduced work productivity
- Increased chances at making mistakes
- Reduced quality of work performance
- Reduced levels of customer service
- Increase risk of injury
- Increased absenteeism
- Increased OSHA recordables
- Increased overtime
- Increased costs in production and worker compensation or medical insurance premiums
We are very proud to supply Premium Comfort + Lasting Quality + Eco-friendly anti fatigue mats. We are especially excited about the NewLife Eco-Pro Anti-fatigue Mats. We highly encourage its use for many applications such as Retailers, Grocery Stores, Pharmacies, Hotels, Restaurants, Manufacturers, Hospitals, Banks, Universities, State & local government offices. And do not forget about the office & home office since many individuals are adapting to standing throughout the workday.
THE FACTS AND ROI
$50-60 billion cost to American employers due to workers physical discomfort
23 number of work days lost per worker per year due to reduced productivity due to MSDs
40% employees suffering from workplace fatigue
25-40 number of minutes it takes for fatigue to set in while standing
#1 lower back pain ranks as the single greatest cause for lost productivity
19% of all workers’ compensation claims are due to low back pain
100% US Dept of Labor suggests anti-fatigue floor mats for workers who stand
33.8% of all newly disabled workers is caused by back pain and other MSDs
40% of all absences from work is from back pain, average time off is a week/employee
1$ of every 3$ in compensation claims is due to a MSD
100+ the number of reports OSHA recommends the use of anti-fatigue mats
#1 the ranking of prolonged standing as a risk factor for MSDs
$8,000 average cost of MSD comp claims with the cost for all other comp claims is half this
$22,500 the average cost savings from preventing one case of MSD
- According to a recent study conducted by the Texas A&M University System Health Science Center, the NewLife Eco-Pro Anti-Fatigue Mat was the ONLY anti-fatigue mat proven to:
- Show a statistically significant difference in reducing spinal compression in workers who stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Show a statistically significant increase in flexibility in workers who stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Conclusion: The use of NewLife Eco-Pro Anti-fatigue Mats helps prevent and alleviate pain associated with standing at work. As a result, it can help increase productivity and reduce exposure to health claims.
Pitfalls to providing employees with inferior mat products
Rubber mats and vinyl top sponge mats offer minimal ergonomic and safety benefits:
- Studies show that they perform the same as standing on a bare floor with no mat*.
- Results in increased spinal compression and reduced flexibility
- Offer little if any energy absorption and energy return
- Results in increased fatigue, physical stress and discomfort
- Do not properly suspend body weight
- Results in poor body posture and foot, leg and back pain
- Do not offer proper support to encourage continued blood circulation
- Results in greater fatigue and discomfort
- Compress, delaminate and break down quickly
- Results in frequent replacements
- Edges curl, tear or disintegrate
- Results in possible trip hazards and possible injury
- Sponge bottoms break-down and absorb moisture
Results in microbial growth, musty smells and unsanitary conditions
• Redwing Shoe manufacturing used mats to help reduce workers comp claims by 70%
• Oxford Automotive parts manufacturer reduced their MSDs by 88% with anti-fatigue mats
• Duracell’s manufacturing facilities’ accident rate was reduced by 81% with the use of anti-fatigue mats
• The use of anti-fatigue mats in a Military Repair Center helped return $2.5 per dollar spent
• Case studies show the ROI for ergonomic strategies is as great as $34.26 per dollar spent
• The average return is $4 to $6 for every dollar invested in safety and health
Expected ROI Example (Large Chain Retailer)
Number of employees in company = 160,000
Reduction for non-standing employees: 160,000 – 20% = 128,000 employees
Cost savings: 128,000 x $37.5 = $4,800,000 / year or $24,000,000 (5 years, mat lifetime)
Cost savings/mat: $4,800,000 / $48,000 (mats needed) = $100/mat/year
Mats pay for themselves in less than a year!
(Click on image to zoom)
We are available to provide assistance with any anti fatigue mat needs. Please do not hesitate to contact us at 877-907-8688, firstname.lastname@example.org or via live chat.
Ergoprise: is a certified, woman-owned, multi-brand provider of high quality office, mobile, and industrial ergonomic tools located in Austin, Texas. Through our showroom, website, and sales team we offer a broad range of ergonomic products that have been selected to provide individuals with a comfortable working environment that delivers an excellent return on investment.