As the July 4th holiday is quickly approaching, we need to be cognizant that many injuries will occur due to the mishandling of fireworks (sadly these incidences are preventable). Our goal with the article is to help promote the awareness of safety while enjoying times spent with family and friends.
The US Consumer Products Safety Commission conducted a rather extensive fireworks study from June 26, 2012 to July 22, 2012, below please find the statistics.
- In the month around the July 4th holiday; on average, 200 individuals every day visited the emergency room due to a fireworks related injury
- 6 fireworks related fatalities were the result of illegal & homemade fireworks.
Injuries by Gender
74% of males were injured mostly from bottle rockets, firecrackers, novelty devices, Roman candles
26% of females were injured more often at public fireworks displays
Injuries by Age
Simple Tips to Prevent Firework Injuries
- Always have a bucket of water or garden hose available in case of an accident
- Never attempt to re-light or handle a firework that has not ignited
- Keep all children away from fireworks
- Light fireworks one at a time an move away quickly once it is lit
- Make sure you are zoned to legally display fireworks
Bottom line… pyromaniacs leave the fireworks displays to the experts!
Ergoprise: is a certified, woman-owned, multi-brand provider of high quality office, mobile, and industrial ergonomic tools located in Austin, Texas. Through our showroom, website, and sales team we offer a broad range of ergonomic products that have been selected to provide individuals with a comfortable working environment that delivers an excellent return on investment.